1.Missions and Orientations
The beginning of our discipline dates back to the year 1923, when the major of communications technology, which was the first such major in China, was established in the Department of Electrical Engineering, National Southeast University. Since then, through the hard work of many generations of teachers and students, this discipline has become a national key first-level discipline that is renowned both domestically and abroad. As a traditional leading discipline of Southeast University, the short-term goal of our discipline is to develop into a world-class top-quality major. Towards this end, we are committed to building an outstanding faculty that is internationally competitive, fostering a world-class research and learning atmosphere, conducting research on the most cutting-edge scientific problems and topics that meets the important needs of our country. Our goal has been and always will be to cultivate the creative talents of outstanding professionals to serve our country, to achieve first-class scientific research results with international recognition, and to lead the future development of the information and communication industry of our country.
2.Superiorities and Features
1) Superiorities and features of the faculty: The strong academic faculty of our discipline consists of 31 professors, 50 associate professors, among whom there are 32 Ph.D. advisors, 2 Yangtze River Scholar Professors, 2 IEEE Fellows, and 2 Distinguished Young Scientist awardees. Many of our faculty have great international influence in our area, and hold positions in important national scientific decision- making bodies as well as domestic and foreign academic organizations, such as member of the discipline review group of the State Council Degrees Committee, the vice engineer in chief of the national technology major projects, the leader of the 863 national experts team, the advisory committee member of 973, the executive director of the Chinese Institute of Electronics and the China Institute of Communications, chair of the IEEE Nanjing Section, the associate editor of Science China Series F, members of the editorial boards of IEEE and many other well-known academic journals. In 2014, the faculty received the grant of the Outstanding Innovations Team of National Natural Science Foundation.
2) Superiorities and features of the discipline: (1) the National Mobile Communications Research Laboratory, is one of earliest established national key laboratories. It has a great impact domestically and abroad, and has assumed the lead in the national major projects of the 3G, 4G and 5G mobile communications. It has also produced a series of proposals for the international standards, and has made a significant contribution towards the development of the mobile communication systems of our country;
3) Industry-Academia-Research integration: with the support of Jiangsu province , the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science and Technology, closely integrated with the applicational advantages of our discipline, the discipline assumed the lead in establishing the Nanjing Academy of Communication Technology and the 2011 Plan Wireless Communication Technology Collaborative Innovation Center, which served as platforms to establish a first-class base of Industry-Academia- Research integration. The results have benefited more than 30 well-known domestic and foreign companies.
3. Research focuses of the discipline
The research focus includes: theory and technology of broadband transmissions, theory and applications of communication networks and systems, information and coding theory, signal processing for communications, and integrated circuits for communications
4. Domestic and international influence of the discipline
The discipline is one of the first national key first-level disciplines, and also one of the first national key disciplines supported by 211 and 985. It was elected to be one of the top priority disciplines of Jiangsu in 2002, being the only discipline in the field of electronic and communications, and again in 2011, it was elected as the “superior discipline” of Jiangsu province. We have won the first ever outstanding award of the national teaching reform achievements, and written a number of textbooks that have long been the fundamental textbooks used by the national engineering universities and schools.
The discipline has made a number of research contributions of international influence. The technology of approaching the capacity of broadband mobile communications, led by our discipline, has won the first price of the State Technological Invention Award in 2011; the research on universal MIMO has won the prestigious Stephen O. Rice prize of the IEEE communications society, which signifies that the fundamental research of the discipline has reached the international frontier. We have assumed the lead in the national 863 project, and together with a number of universities and companies, successfully completed China's first 3G/4G/5G mobile communications field test systems. We have also assumed the lead in the National Science Foundation Monumental Project, conducting cutting-edge research in the area of distributed cellular networks, which has made a great international impact. We have hosted a number of high-impact flagship international conferences of IEEE, such as WCNC, VTC, etc.